It has been a hard lesson for me to realize that many people do not see the Good News of Jesus’ love and forgiveness as Good News, because one or more of the following:
1) they don’t believe that God exists,
2) they don’t believe the Moral Law exists,
3) they don’t believe that they are sinners who have broken the Moral Law,
4) they don’t believe in Heaven or Hell, and/or,
5) they don’t believe Hell exists as God’s just punishment for sin.
Therefore, they don’t see the message of Jesus as Good News. The “Good News” that people want is exemplified by the Gay Pride Movement, but all unrepentant sinners are the same: they want to be told that they are “good people,” and want to be accepted and even celebrated for the most perverse sins.
The “Good News” to them is not that Jesus forgives you of your sins, but that you are wonderful just the way you are–vile and sinful as we all are by nature and by the actions we have committed.
To them, the message of Jesus is “Bad News,” as God angrily condemns them to Hell as Christ-rejecting sinners.